Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Summer TV

Remember the dark ages when Summer TV was all reruns and weird movies of the week that nobody really watched? Thank god we live in enlightened times. Here's what I'm watching this summer:

New Shows:

Burn Notice -- A clever show about spies, ex-spies and how they are smarter than regular bad guys.

On the Lot -- it's horrible, but I'm in too deep. Seriously, every decision they've made in the creation of the show is wrong. The idea is actually really interesting, but the execution is hideous.

Pirate Master -- this was only saved from being the worst competitive reality show on this summer by the existence of On the Lot. It's been cancelled, but I'll probably watch it online because...yeah, I don't have a reason.

Mad Men -- Okay, I've only seen the pilot, but I'm intrigued. The contrast of the super-slick production values, writing, etc. and the explicit anti-semitism and misogyny (appropriate for the times, but still unpleasant to hear/watch) is jarring, but I'm definitely going to watch more and see if they can sustain it.

Returning Favorites:

Psych -- The mystery is secondary. The dialogue between Shaun and Gus (aka West Wing Charlie) is what makes this show.

The Closer -- Again, the whodunit is not the point. The characters and their relationships are so well drawn. Everyone is so human and yet, they are still really likable. Well, except for the mostly silent cop who's entire role seems to be the only other woman in the squad besides Brenda.

So You Think You Can Dance -- I started watching this in the middle of last season, so it's been interesting to watch this from the beginning. For the most part, the talent is undeniable. That being said, I think Lauren is mediocre at best and doesn't deserve to be there.

Top Chef -- This is the first year I've watched Top Chef and really, it just makes me miss Project Runway. I know I read this somewhere else, but the fatal flaw of this show is that we viewers can't taste the food and, therefore, can't judge for ourselves like we can on Runway.

Big Brother -- Sure, why not.

The 4400 -- This is silly sci-fi, but it's a good "regular people having powers" hold-over until Heroes is back.


Sooo, what we've learned here is that I watch way too much TV, even in the summer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tigerpants said...

Ha! I, too, watch The 4400 (big surprise, I know). It's not great, but it's bizarrely compelling.

My new problem is HBO. The cable bastards gave me free HBO for 3 months for all my problems, and, well, I can't stop. I've been tivoing like crazy. I'm so glad I never had it before. I'd never, ever leave my house.

9:42 PM  
Blogger kc said...

That's what I always say about Top Chef! They have done a bit better job this season. But still. When I disagree with the judges, I have nothing to base it on.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home