Monday, August 29, 2005

overfamiliar customer service=icky

So, I had to go to the bank on Saturday to deal with some random money stuff that online banking doesn't cover. I can't even wait in line for a teller; I have to sit and wait for someone at a desk.

After waiting a while, it's finally my turn. I sit down and right away, I can tell it's going to be an exercise in frustration. The bank guy is really chummy with me and not in a professional way, in a smarmy "That Guy" way. Well, because I am grumpy from having to drag my ass out of the apartment to deal with the rejects who get stuck working at the bank on Saturday, I am having none of it. He keeps trying to engage me and I give him nothing. He's so busy chatting and smarming at me, that he fucks up what he's trying to do on the computer and has to redo it by hand.

In retrospect, I think I was presenting him with a challenge. Something about my total lack of response to him (answering in monosyllables, making no eye contact, etc.) just made him even more smarmy/chatty. Out of nowhere, he starts telling me about how he went out last night and asking me if I like beer.

And here's where I maybe went a little too far. Here's what I said:

"I'm sorry, but I'm in a bit of a rush and, while I don't want to be rude, I also don't need to be friends with you."

The good news is that this shut him up completely and I was out of there, with my business done, literally, 45 seconds later.

The bad news is that this guy does have access to my bank accounts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home