Thursday, June 09, 2005

poker? I hardly know her...badump bump

The last few years, I got really into watching poker on TV. REALLY into it. I've never been a big sports fan, but I started to follow poker the way my dad pays attention to baseball. I could argue the merits of Gus Hansen's "trashman" style vs. Howard Lederer's thinking game. I watched all seven hours of the 2003 WSOP coverage in a row. I was (and am) a poker junkie.

Then, I got a job working for a Big Poker Show. And, when you work for a poker show, it's great if you love to watch the game, but you better be prepared to pony up some money and play.

Truthfully, I'm not a great player. I am not great at doing the math. I get nervous when I bet big. I don't read other players well enough because I'm still too involved in my own hand. I have trouble letting go of a good hand that is probably beat. I call when I should raise.

But, every time I play, I learn something. Every time I play, I get a little more comfortable and a little smarter and faster with my decisions.

Last night I got invited to play in a six-handed no-limit hold 'em game. It was me and 5 guys, only one of whom I knew. I've never played a live game where I didn't know everyone before. We were playing speed rounds - blinds went up every 10 minutes. I probably played too tight, but I knew that that was my only defense against their super-aggressive play. I folded everything that wasn't a premium hand (pocket pair, 2 high cards) and the poker gods were with me. I caught some great cards when I needed them. I won the first game ($80 prize) and came in second (winning my $20 buy-in back) in the second game.

Winning at poker is the best. It's even more addictive than watching it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home